The Town of Columbine Valley has adopted the following building codes.
- 2018 International Building Code and International Residential Code
- 2020 National Electrical Code
Roofing Requirements – in order to better serve our citizens and roofing contractors, the following summarizes current requirements.
- Ice barrier shall be used on the eave edge for all new roof tear offs. The ice barrier shall extend 24 inches from the exterior wall.
- Provide drip edge metal at eaves and gable ends. Eave and gable drip edge metal shall extend a minimum of 2 inches onto the roof surface and 1½ inches over the exposed decking edge.
- The total net free area shall not be less than 1 square foot of roof vents per 150 square feet of roof area.
- Nail down mineral surfaced roll roofing is NOT allowed for any roofing application. Mineral surfaced roll roofing shall be attached per manufacture’s installation instructions in an adhered- or torch-down installation.
- Most neoprene plumbing vent flashings will have to be replaced due to deformities caused by exposure to the elements.
- Rusted and/or damaged flashing, attic vents, furnace to fireplace vents are required to be replaced.
- Flashing used for open valleys shall be a minimum 24-inches wide, 26-gage galvanized steel.
- Flashing and counter flashings are required where the roof meets a vertical surface. Counter flashing may be omitted if the top edge of the wall flashing is covered with an approved exterior siding material.
- Asphalt shingles shall be fastened to solidly sheathed decks. Solid sheathing is required with consistent gaps in the spaced decking 1/4 inch or greater.