The Town’s municipal code prohibits individual garage and yard sales in Columbine Valley. However, each HOA is permitted to have one coordinated event each calendar year during which residents can open their homes, yards or garages for an annual purge of unwanted items. Check with your HOA to see if it has scheduled an event this year.
Estate sales are allowed in two cases: (1) Upon the death of a property owner or (2) when the property owner is vacating the property to relocate to other housing for the purpose of obtaining assistance with daily living and/or health care. The following restrictions apply to all estate sales in the Town:
- The property owner or his/her heirs, executors or assignees are permitted only one estate sale.
- The property owner or his/her heirs, executors or assignees, shall apply to the Town for a permit to conduct the estate sale. Such permit shall set forth the reasons for the need for such estate sale. There shall be no charge for the permit.
- An estate sale shall be held between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., for one day only.
- The property owner or his/her heir, executors or assignees shall be present at the residence for the duration of the estate sale.
- An estate sale shall be conducted by an independent contractor who specializes in estate sales and is licensed by the Town.
- Only the tangible personal property located inside the residence may be sold at the estate sale. All such personal property sold at the estate sale must be removed within 48 hours following the date of the estate sale.
- All tangible personal property to be sold at the estate sale must be displayed within the residence. No tangible personal property shall be displayed outside of the residence.
- No tangible personal property shall be brought in from outside locations or sources to add to the tangible personal property being sold at the estate sale.
- No presale on-site viewing of the tangible personal property to be sold at the estate sale shall be permitted.
- One estate sale sign on the property is permitted. Such sign shall not exceed 18 inches by 18 inches. Directional signs to the estate sale are not permitted.
- The property owner or his/her heirs, executors or assignees shall notify the applicable Homeowners Association (HOA) of the estate sale at least two weeks prior to the date of the estate sale.
Each and every day a violation of this ordinance continues shall be deemed a separate offense and shall be punishable as provided in Section 12 of Article I of the Zoning Code.
Please submit this application for an estate sale to the Town with demonstration of HOA notification.